Dear WEDS Community:
As the days go by and the global pandemic intensifies, West End Day School is doing everything we can to keep our community safe and do our best to respond to the needs of our students, faculty and families. It is time for us to prepare for long-term scenarios that we all know are on the way. We do not have any return date in sight at this time and understand what a great loss this is for every member of the West End Day School community. However, this is also an opportunity for growth. At the heart of our program, is our motto “All Problems have Solutions.” Here are our solutions going forward:
- We recognize the need for more synchronous learning! We are developing plans to have video conferences for small reading and math groups starting April 20th. Our strategy is to phase in more group learning experiences, including whole group STEM lessons on a week-by-week basis. Be on the lookout for more information in the week ahead.
- Spring Break: Our upcoming break will continue as planned. Keep in mind, we were up and running on March 16th and did not skip a beat. Our faculty will use this break both for planning and restorative purposes. During Spring Break, you can still utilize the Remote Learning Extra Resources provided in google classroom and we will also provide fun learning and family activities to keep our students engaged.
During this time, I want to remind you that you are part of something special, something more than a school. Our Distance Learning Program is no different, and I hope you can find gratitude to celebrate everything we are offering in our remote learning model:
- INDIVIDUALIZED and CHALLENGING education model
- SMALL class sizes with BIG CONNECTIONS
- FLEXIBLE learning where children feel COMFORTABLE meeting high expectations
- Programming that recognizes EMOTIONS
- RELATIONSHIP based model
- PARENT SUPPORT every step of the way
- FUN and ENGAGING ways to connect
- CLINICAL CHECK-INS including Counseling, Speech and Language and Occupational Therapy
- Administrative SUPPORT and technical ASSISTANCE
I have said this before and I will again, “We’ve got this. We are West End Day School.” Together We will come out of this stronger and more resilient than ever.
Carrie Catapano, LCSW
Head of School
Remote Phone Number: 646-640-600